It can be tough at the top. Here are some top tips to improve your personal success as well as the success of the people working for you.
- Lead by example. Provide guidance and support and set the benchmark for team cohesiveness and performance.
- Understand yourself and work on bettering yourself. What are the things you do well and what can you improve? How effective is your management style? By investing time in developing your individual skills you will drive your business forward and reap the rewards in terms of how successfully you lead your team.
- Be a good all-rounder and play to all your strengths. Technical skills are important but so are soft skills such as people management skills. Do not neglect one in favour of the other.
- Learn to delegate effectively. You can’t do it all! By relinquishing responsibility to others you are not only ensuring that your efforts are always directed to best effect but also that the people around you feel empowered to make decisions and improve the business.
- Build a team that can work without you. A team that falls apart when you are on leave or away from the office is not good business.
- Maintain boundaries: Whilst it is good to develop a good personal relationship with your colleagues, you must establish appropriate boundaries. This will be important during times when you have to make tough decisions that may not always be welcome by others.
What do you do to make sure that you’re a good boss? Share your tips (or mistakes!) with us by leaving a comment here.