Happy employees make happy clients and customers. Here’s a check list of all the things you should be doing, to keep your staff – and therefore your clients and customers – happy. How many are you doing?
- Improve their engagement with your company – low cost options include offering flexibility, the opportunity to buy or sell holiday and working from home
- Cheer everyone up – buy them food at work
- Give lots of praise – in public, if necessary
- Recognise their achievements – a lot
- Be reassuring (but realistic) about job security
- Be flexible about working hours and opportunities to improve their work life balance
- Be open, honest and involved with your team
- Keep them in touch with all the news – good or bad
- Keep up with employees training and development – it does not need to cost a lot. Don’t abandon development and new opportunities. Job training is perceived as a value
- Develop your company culture – involve everyone in decisions and provide opportunities for staff who don’t normally work together to get to know each other
- Offer chances to put forward suggestions – it could save you a fortune and it increases the sense of ownership and belonging
- Provide regular team meetings to reinforce the company culture and beliefs
- Think about using a promotion as a low cost way of improving self-esteem and self-worth
- Treat everyone with respect – it doesn’t cost anything and it improves motivation.
How well did you score? What more could you be doing to keep your staff happy?