We all deserve some fun this Christmas. Being in lockdown doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a safe, socially distanced Christmas party. In fact, through researching the many options of how to hold an online Christmas party, it could be more fun than the real thing. Below are some great party ideas.
“But we’re all Zoomed out!” I hear you cry. I understand, but this is different. Many of us have experienced Zoom Fatigue even when using MS Teams, Remo or other online conferencing platforms.
Never fear! This will be far better. You won’t just be sitting in front of a screen. You’ll be moving around, dancing, creating cocktails, playing charades or leaping about trying to find the answer to a question that’s on the tip of your tongue.
Outsource Your Party Planning
Decide whether you want to host your virtual party or if you’d rather outsource to an online events company. Outsourcing may stretch your budget, but it could also save planning time. Choices include:
- Try The Office Christmas Party – their ‘Festive Chef’ sounds deliciously different! They email you a list of ingredients to buy and what equipment you’ll need. On the day, a Michelin star chef talks you through the challenge and then shows you, live, how to cook it.
- I’ve saved the best for last. Silent Adventures will help get everyone up off their sofas and dancing around their living rooms!
If you opt to host your party yourself, now for the really fun bit! Choosing what activities to do. Depending on the activity, you probably won’t have time to do more than one or two, especially if you include eating, drinking and chatting … it’s Christmas, so of course you would!
Here’s a list I’ve compiled, to get you started:
- Fancy Dress: If you’re having a theme, have a prize for the best fancy dress. Ask everyone to vote in the chat box throughout the party. If there’s a tie at the end, the hosts can make the final decision. What power! Allow a few minutes at the end to announce the winner.
- Cocktail Making Classes: No Christmas party is complete without cocktails. Being virtual, you must make your own, adding to the fun. Mixology provide some great virtual cocktail classes.
- Two Truths, One Lie: This game helps you get to know each other more. Take it in turns to say three things about yourself – two truths and a lie. Everyone tries to guess the lie. The person who guesses correctly has a drink. Carry on around the ‘room’ until you’ve all had a go. This could get loud! Pre-warn everyone about the game giving them time to prepare.
- Virtual Christmas Dinner: Prior to the event, send each employee a hamper of delicious festive treats to nibble on throughout the party. M&S have a great selection, or show your employees how much you value them with a hamper from Fortnum & Mason.
- Secret Santa: Just because we’ve had to go virtual doesn’t mean we can’t still enjoy Secret Santa thanks to online generators like this one. Set it up early to give people a chance to order and send their gifts. Set a maximum amount to spend and remind everyone to keep giftees a secret. Then enjoy the looks on their faces as everyone opens their gifts during your party!
- Charades: Who doesn’t love a game of charades? The hosts can send private chats to each person when it’s their go with the name of a movie, book or TV show to enact. Let the game last as long or short a time as you like.
Whatever activities you choose, do enjoy your virtual Christmas party!