In a recent blog we looked at the importance of managing performance as a way of getting more from your staff, without dramatically increasing your costs.
Here are some top tips you can actually put into action, to get more from your people:
- Provide a stimulating working environment that encourages members of staff to contribute to the progress of your business.
- Encourage your staff to reach their full potential by providing opportunities to develop their skills through training and development, as well as coaching in the soft skills needed to be an excellent team member.
- Carry out formal performance reviews on a regular basis, setting clear objectives and achievable targets; don’t wait for annual appraisals.
- Build good relationships by providing regular informal feedback and guidance; allow your staff to air their concerns within an environment of trust and honesty.
- Deal with issues as soon as they arise – don’t wait for them to become problems.
- Offer a clear career path, to encourage employees to be the best they can be and stay with you for the long term.
How do you get more from your people? What have you done that has worked – or not worked? Leave a reply below.
If you still have questions about how to improve the performance of your team, come to our next workshop on 22 November 2012 near Henley. Places are free but limited, so click here for full details.